DENVER –‘Tis the season to give your Christmas tree a second life and recycle it through the Denver Public Works Treecycle program! The program begins January 4and runs for two weeks. Recycling your tree reduces waste and greenhouse gas emissions. It also creates mulch, which is made available to Denver residents for FREE at the city’s annual Mulch Giveaway in the spring!
Recycling a Christmas tree is as easy as one, two, three! Denver residents just need to follow these steps to ensure their trees are recycled properly:
- Remove decorations, lights and the tree stand. Real trees only. No artificial or flocked trees.
- Set your tree out for collection during the two week Treecycle period only (January 4th to 15th).
- Manual & Cart Customers: Trees will be collected on your regular trash collection day during the week of January 4 and the week ofJanuary 11. Set out trees by 7:00am in your normal trash set out location.
- Dumpster Customers: Set your tree out on your side of the alley by 7 a.m. on Monday, January 4, or Monday, January 11, and the tree will be removed during the week.
- Pick up free mulch made from the recycled trees at the Annual Mulch Giveaway in the spring!
Do not place trees in trash carts or dumpsters and please set the trees at least two feet away from trash or recycling containers, cars, and other obstacles.